The MxL278 is a cable gateway, front-end SoC that supports 2 OFDM and 32 QAM downstream channels, in addition to 2 OFDMA and 8 QAM upstream channels. The MxL278 also provides all MoCA 2.5 Profile C front-end transceiver functions. The MxL278 targets DOCSIS and Euro-DOCSIS cable gateway designs.
For the cable downstream, the MxL278 captures the entire 1.218GHz cable bandwidth and provides up to 2 OFDM and 32 QAM channels of digitized I/Q data using 5 SerDes lanes. The MxL278 accepts digitized upstream signals from a DOCSIS back-end IC using two SerDes lanes, and outputs upstream analog signals in the 5MHz to 204MHz range to the companion MxL236 PGA.
For the MoCA receive functions, the MxL278 captures the entire D band and bonds two channels of digitized I/Q data through two SerDes lanes. The MxL278 also accepts digitized transmit signals from a MoCA back-end IC using two SerDes lanes, and outputs analog transmit signals in band D to the diplex filtering without needing an external amplifier.
With its high integration and low-power consumption, the MxL278 enables high-speed DOCSIS 3.1 broadband gateway solutions with compact board design and low BOM cost.
The MxL278 is controlled through an SPI interface and operates using 3.3V, 1.8V, and 0.9V supplies. The MxL278 is available in a small 10mm x 10mm footprint 88-pin QFN package.
- Full-Spectrum Capture™ (FSC™) cable tuner that is capable of receiving 2 OFDM and 32 QAM channels from 44MHz to 1218MHz
- ADC capture range of 5MHz to 1218MHz supporting both upstream and downstream spectrum reporting
- Full-spectrum transmit for cable upstream that supports two OFDMA and eight QAM channels covering 5MHz to 204MHz
- Proactive Network Maintenance (PNM) on both DOCSIS and MoCA bands that supports power reporting, spectrum reporting, and histogram
- Full-spectrum MoCA 2.5 Profile C Rx that is capable of bonding two channels in band D
- Full-spectrum MoCA 2.5 Profile C Tx that supports two bonded channels in band D with an integrated amplifier
- Integrated Battery Backup Unit (BBU) ADC
- 2.4W typical power consumption when receiving all DOCSIS channels and transmitting all MoCA channels
- 0.7W typical power consumption in a single downstream channel DOCSIS3.0 Low Power Mode (LPM)
- Reference clock output provided to a DOCSIS/MoCA back-end IC
- SPI digital control interface
- I2C-compatible interface for the BBU
- Integrated downstream active splitter simplifies support for pass-through signals for legacy STBs in the home
- Simple interface to the MxL236 DOCSIS 3.1 upstream PGA
- Integrated temperature sensor
- Cable modems
- Cable gateways
Documentation & Design Tools
Parts & Purchasing
|Part Number||Min Temp||Max Temp||Status|
Active - the part is released for sale, standard product.
EOL (End of Life) - the part is no longer being manufactured, there may or may not be inventory still in stock.
CF (Contact Factory) - the part is still active but customers should check with the factory for availability. Longer lead-times may apply.
PRE (Pre-introduction) - the part has not been introduced or the part number is an early version available for sample only.
OBS (Obsolete) - the part is no longer being manufactured and may not be ordered.
NRND (Not Recommended for New Designs) - the part is not recommended for new designs.